Evangelism Exposed

“Jesus wept.” Joh 11:35

Priest admits molesting schoolboys

[Source]: 18/ 8/2008

A PRIEST who sexually abused a string of boys at a top Catholic school more than 20 years ago has finally been brought to justice.

Father William Green, 67, who took physical education classes at St Bede’s College in Alexandra Park, Manchester, has admitted 27 assaults on children who were aged between eight and 16. He faces a `significant’ jail sentence.

Green, who was a priest at the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, Wigan, made excuses to see boys on their own, taking them to a room where he indecently assaulted them.

A lawyer acting for five victims said it was “highly probable” there were other victims who are reluctant to speak of what happened to them during the 1970s and 80s.

Police launched an investigation after they were contacted by one of Green’s victims. Green, from Cale Lane, Aspull, was charged with 33 counts of indecent assault against nine boys under 16. He pleaded guilty to 27 of the charges relating to seven victims. The remaining six charges were ordered to lie on the file. He is due to be sentenced on September 30 at Manchester Crown Court.

Richard Scorer, partner with Manchester law firm, Pannone, is now preparing to take civil action against the Catholic church on behalf of the victims.

He said: “In my experience, people who are victim to sexual abuse as a child rarely get over it. It can mean flash backs and memories triggered by something as simple as a smell.

“It impacts on people throughout their adult lives and can cause problems with relationships. It can also cause difficulties in holding down a job because it can result in people having a mistrust of those in authority.”

He added: “The judge indicated that there was an overwhelming likelihood Green will face an immediate and significant sentence of imprisonment when he is sentenced next month. This can only be right and proper, given the dreadful abuse he subjected a succession of young boys to.

It is highly probable that there are a number of men still living in Manchester who are either too frightened or ashamed to come forward.

“I would however urge them to either contact the police or speak to me in confidence in order to bring closure to their ordeal.”


A spokesman for the Catholic Church in Greater Manchester said: “We have co-operated with the authorities since the beginning of the investigation.


“It is regrettable when something like this happens. Our priority and concern is always for the victims.”

He said the case was a historical one and that safeguards had been put in place in recent years to prevent something similar happening again.

Advertisements

August 18, 2008 - Posted by | Catholic Church, Sex Abuse, UK

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: